Thursday, April 2, 2009

Plunking (Fishing)

Plunking is the fishing part, and the Columbia River system is close to home. I'm counting the Snake River and the smaller rivers that feed into them as "the system." In that system, I chase perch, crappies, walleyes, whitefish, smallmouth bass, sturgeon, shad, and even carp. I go after salmon and steelhead, too, but those aren't subjects for the book I'm putting together. My goal is to help you catch fish on the system without having to learn the spots the hard way like I so often have.
The subjects are the less glamorous fish which are plentiful, although you may have to catch several sturgeon before you get to take one home to eat. These "less glamorous" fish are good to eat, too. Well, maybe carp is stretching it a bit. My often times fishing and hunting companion, Tom Perry, will cook anything, and he tells me carp are inedible. But this isn't a recipe book, although I might include one occasionally. It's a book designed to help you catch fish in the Columbia River system, so I intend to be specific. If you're bank fishing, you can literally stand in the spot I'm talking about because I'll be describing landmarks and sometimes I'll even include GPS coordinates.If you're boat fishing, you can drop the anchor where I dropped mine-that is, if you want to plunk. But sometimes I troll, and now you're going to have to watch the depthfinder in order to hit the exact spots I recommend.
Maybe sometime when you're on the river, you will see an eighteen-foot Wooldridge jet sled named Smokey II. That will be me researching my subject.